Wednesday 19 April 2017

GRATIN OF MACARONI WITH BACON AND LEEKS

I really wanted to cook a roast lamb on Easter Sunday but it seemed a little OTT as it was just my daughter Arabella and I for lunch. So instead I went for Arabella's favourite.....pasta! This is a recipe I found on Waitrose's website, I wanted something quick and easy as I am still finding cooking with the baby quite difficult. She seems to save her moaning to when I am slaving over a hot stove!! Anyway this only took about 15 minutes to prepare and then 25 minutes in the oven.

Ingredients for 2 people:

150g macaroni
1 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, sliced
200g lardons
350g tub of cheese sauce
50g Parmesan, grated
50g Cheddar cheese, grated
2 small bunches of cherry tomatoes (I only used one as Arabella doesn't like cooked tomatoes)


Preheat the oven 190 C / gas mark 5.

Cook the pasta in salted boiling water according to the packet's instructions. Mine took 10 minutes. 


Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the lardons for around 4 minutes and then add the leeks for another 4 minutes or until they start to soften and the bacon is cooked.




Add the cheese sauce and bring to the boil, then stir in the pasta and a good grinding of black pepper.



Transfer into a baking dish and place the tomatoes on top. Pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes until the topping is golden and the tomatoes are soft. Serve and enjoy.





Even though I was missing having lamb, this was a great alternative - I love a Mac and cheese and this recipe was so easy to make. Next time I might stir in a teaspoon of mustard to give it a bit of a kick. I was tempted to not bother with the tomatoes but they made a great addition and next time I will serve it with a mixed green salad. I am constantly looking for recipes that don't take too long and would suit a midweek supper and this definitely hits the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment