Sunday 12 March 2017

EGG AND BACON FRIED RICE

We never have Chinese food - in fact the last Chinese I had was probably a couple of years ago. I love it but I always get carried away and eat too much and then feel sick. Plus my daughter only likes crispy prawns and nothing else. However every so often I dream of a good Chinese and so this weekend I decided to cook egg and bacon fried rice in hope that it would satisfy my craving. This is from Olive magazine and took 15 minutes.

Ingredients for 2 people:

150g pancetta or lardons
1 tbsp oil
A small chunk of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped (I left this out)
250g pouch of steamed basmati rice
75g peas (not frozen)
2 eggs, beaten 
1 tsp of sesame oil (I forgot this in the picture)
A handful of chopped chives

To serve:
Soy sauce



Prepare the ingredients by chopping the ginger, crushing the garlic and beating the eggs. Mix a teaspoon of sesame oil with the eggs and set to one side.





Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a wok or large frying pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Scoop the bacon out of the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving as much fat as possible behind. Next add the ginger, garlic and chilli (we left this out) to the pan and fry in the fat for a minute until adding the rice, peas and bacon. Keep cooking and tossing until the rice is piping hot (this only took a few minutes).







Pour over the eggs, stir and toss with the rice until just set and then scatter with the chives.



Finally serve with a dash of soy sauce and tuck in.



This was super good and really flavoursome and I reckon even better than a Chinese restaurant. Both my daughter Arabella and I loved it and it was very quick and easy to make. I spoke to my brother and he seemed to believe I needed to add something like sweet and sour pork or beef in black bean sauce, which I am sure would be great, but we liked it just the way it was. Healthier this way too!

Nutrition Facts Widget Image

No comments:

Post a Comment