Thursday 26 February 2015

BACON & EGG TART

I haven't cooked this much in a long time. Another day, another goat's cheese recipe….Arabella and my bones must be getting super strong from all the calcium.

I love recipes with only a few ingredients, especially when it is pouring with rain outside and you don't want to have to go to the shops. Luckily I had all I needed in my fridge and cupboard to make this yummy dish.

Ingredients for 2 people:

1 tbsp olive oil
Half an onion, halved and thinly sliced
160g lardons
5 tbsp of breadcrumbs
2 large eggs
125ml single cream
100g goat's cheese, crumbled or chopped into small pieces
Salt and pepper



Preheat the oven to 200 C / gas mark 6.

Place a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil, onion and lardons and cook until the onion is translucent - around 5-10 minutes (it took me 7 minutes to be precise).




When it is ready, tip the bacon and onion mixture onto a plate and set aside.


In a bowl, beat the eggs and cream together until combined.




Then stir through the goat's cheese and some pepper. I didn't add salt as the lardons are salty however you can if you want.




Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the base of the frying pan.



Scatter the bacon and onion mixture on top.



Finally pour the egg and goat's cheese on top.



If your frying pan is oven proof, put it in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the eggs are set and the top is golden. I was unsure whether our pan was oven proof - I just risked it and thankfully it was fine! If you don't have a oven proof frying pan, you can grill the tart with the oven door open and the handle sticking out (for the same amount of time as above).

When ready, remember the frying pan handle might be hot, remove from the oven and eat up!




I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by this recipe - it actually tastes like a quiche but lighter and better (and easier to cook). Arabella and I both enjoyed it and it would go perfectly with a green salad. If you were a vegetarian, you could always substitute the bacon for spinach and you could even serve this for breakfast or brunch as well as for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment