Thursday 1 January 2015

LA FROMAGERIE, MERIBEL

Pascal, being born and bred in the french mountains, loves the local dishes such as fondue and raclette. Therefore on one of our first meals out in Meribel, we booked a table at La Fromagerie, the best place for these cheesy dishes. Obviously being a cheese lover myself, I wasn't complaining. Arabella was a little unsure, especially as when you walk into the restaurant and all you can smell is cheese, cheese and more cheese.

I don't think I have ever seen a menu here as we only ever order the same - a Swiss fondue and a raclette. When Pascal and I first got together we came here and we had a fondue, tartiflette and raclette, one bottle of red wine and a bottle of white….I don't think I have ever felt so ill in my life!! Now we start with a small fondue and then have a small raclette for main (to be honest you do not need both but we are just greedy and cannot decide which one we prefer).

The restaurant is very rustic, cosy and quaint and service is super efficient. 

Our fondue arrived promptly. The pictures speak for themselves - the bread and the cheese.




Then there are some delicious accompaniments - charcuterie, cornichons and a crisp green salad.




We ate the whole lot, including another plate of charcuterie. Arabella really enjoyed it as did Pascal and I.

Even though we could have probably left it there, for mains we had a raclette. This is obviously pretty similar although there are new potatoes rather than bread. Pascal took charge of scrapping the cheese once it was melted and did a very good job!






So good I had two portions, I knew I would have chronic stomach pains after all this cheese, but it is so incredible, I couldn't stop and neither could Pascal. Arabella wasn't so much of a fan of the raclette and for once I didn't force her…..my sister was sick in my ski boot after a raclette when I was 13 years old (funnily enough in Meribel) and I did not want a repeat performance!!

If you are in Meribel, this restaurant is a must - nowhere else can you eat such tasty typical dishes….just make sure you are hungry (and like cheese) and don't wear your favourite clothes as you leave the restaurant smelling of cheese. One piece of advice is to book beforehand, it is one of the most popular eateries in the area and is always packed. 

La Fromagerie
Gallerie des Cimes,
Cote du Petaru,
73550,
Meribel,
France
Tel: 00 33 4 79 085548

No comments:

Post a Comment