Saturday 20 December 2014

HAWKSMOOR, AIR STREET, WEST END

Pascal and I had the most fantastic evening on Tuesday night - supper and then the theatre to see the Book of Mormon. It is outrageously rude and politically incorrect but hysterically funny - I would really recommend it….if you are not easily offended.

For supper beforehand we decided to go to Hawksmoor which has been on my list for donkey's years although I have always been put off by the prices - steak restaurants are always super expensive - but I would say this was definitely worth it. There are 5 Hawksmoor restaurants in London and one in Manchester.

According to the website, Hawksmoor travelled the world to find the perfect steak but actually it is from here in Britain. The menu offers lots of fish as well as meat and a good mix of starters (steak tartar, ribs, Caesar salad). I wanted the Bixham crab on toast with mayonnaise to begin with however they were unfortunately out of crab and lobster. Instead I had the roast scallops with white port and garlic.


These were delicious - big juicy scallops in a garlicy sauce - it reminded me of snails in garlic and I even ordered some bread and butter to mop up the sauce!

Pascal ordered the smoked salmon which came with a delicious herby cream cheese and brown bread. This was very tasty and fresh.


For mains we both had the 400g rib eye steak which we agreed is one of the best steaks we have ever had. It was so tender and full of flavour - I don't think I have ever tasted anything like it.


Being the little piglets that we are we each had our own portion of mac and cheese which was divine. Restaurants can so easily get this simple dish wrong but this was perfectly cheesy with a crispy topping.


We also shared a side of the English lettuce and herb salad which was very light and crisp - a perfect accompaniment to the steak and pasta.


I ordered the Stilton hollandaise as a sauce which was good but not very stiltony and a bit too creamy - next time I would go for the bĂ©arnaise although to be honest the steak was so good, it would be perfect without a sauce….which is something I never normally say!!


Even though I was so full I could barely breathe I had to try the salted caramel rolos which were literally mouthfuls of Heaven. I was a little put off by the dark chocolate as I am not really a fan but the rolos were utterly incredible.


A superb meal -  Hawksmoor definitely lived up to its reputation of being the best steak restaurant in London and I think has made it on to my list of my top favourite restaurants.  Great food, fantastic atmosphere, friendly efficient service and a really warming, comfortable decor - the kind of place you could stay all day. I can't wait to go back - the restaurant also offers a pre / post theatre dinner / set menu and a Sunday roast and a whole array of puddings that I can't wait to try!


5a Air Street
London
W1J 0AD
Tel: 020 7406 3980

Square Meal 
Hawksmoor Air Street on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment