Saturday 20 September 2014

TING BY SHANGRI-LA, THE SHARD, LONDON BRIDGE

I got married a couple of weeks ago - it wasn't the most sociable time - 9am on a Monday morning but it was the perfect day and the perfect way to start the week. We celebrated over brunch with friends at The Botanist but I was too busy in my newlywed state to take photos. 

However Pascal then whisked me away to the new Shangri-La hotel at the Shard - AMAZING. I love views and here they are spectacular - everywhere you look. The hotel is situated from the 34th - 52nd floor of the Shard, there is a restaurant Ting at level 34, the bar Gong at level 52 as well as an infinity pool and then rooms and suites in between.




The hotel knew we had just got married and so welcomed us with gorgeous flowers and chocolates.




We had booked to go to the bar in the evening - it was heaving - a real party atmosphere, music, low lighting but like everywhere in the hotel, the real focus was the view - London during the day is beautiful, London at night is stunning. We had a couple of drinks - and nibbles - service was very friendly.





Then it was to Ting for the most important part - the meal! The restaurant has fantastic tables by the windows where you are seated at a slant to make the most of the view - you really don't get tired of it. 

Obviously I had already checked out the menu and knew what I was going to eat. The food is modern European with subtle Asian influences using locally sourced ingredients.

We started with gorgeously fresh bread and butter (no holding back today)!



Then I went for the risotto with langoustines, chorizo, smoked paprika and Parmesan. 



It was delicious - big juicy langoustines, there was a slight bite and kick to the risotto, and it was fresh and flavoursome. I could have had it for a main as well!

Pascal had tuna with spring vegetables, red radish, yuzu and soy sauce - it was phenomenal and all very seasonal.



For mains I ordered the monkfish with teriyaki, green spring vegetables, citruses and lemon balm. It was very good however it wasn't exactly what I expected - very lemony and I couldn't taste the teriyaki - I enjoyed it but my starter was far superior.



My husband (!) ordered the Cotswold free range chicken with pea puree, dried kalamata olives, Chinese spice and gribiche sauce. To be honest I should have ordered the same as him as this was excellent, a strange combination but it really worked.



We had a side of fries (why not) and these were without a doubt the best chips I have had in my life & tasted brilliant dipped into my sauce!



Even though we were fit to burst we had to have cheese and I am pleased we did - it was a great selection and served with biscuits, grapes, apricots & celery.




To round the meal and day off we went back to the bar for one more drink and were presented with a congratulations plate of petit fours.


It had been our ideal day and the Shangri-La went out of their way to make everything as special as possible - it is the perfect place to celebrate a memorable occasion and I think we will be back again and again - even if it's just for a drink in the bar.

PS I feel I have to mention the breakfast too - best we've ever had - I had three courses, dim sum, noodles, then English breakfast with eggs Benedict and then bread & hummus!! Diet starts tomorrow...





Ting by Shangri-La

The Shard
32 London Bridge Street
London
SE1 9SG
Tel: 020 7234 8108
Email: ting.slln@shanghri-la.com

Ting by Shangri-La at The Shard on Urbanspoon Square Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment