Friday 20 June 2014

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE ICE CREAM

I never really do puddings, I am much more of a cheese fan plus I always overdo it on starter and main course so there is no room left in the "gut"! However when you have a dinner party I feel it is a must as for some people it is their favourite part of the meal. Plus Pascal being French (and being Pascal) believes you should have cheese and then dessert…..no wonder we have weight issues!!

Last night we had a dinner party so I had to get my thinking cap on. I have no whisking gadgets as our kitchen is too small - I dream of buying a baby pink Kitchen Aid but it is not going to happen any time soon so I always need to do something simple and I found the perfect idea from a Waitrose recipe card - easy but yum, plus you can prepare it a few days before so it is completely hassle free.

Ingredients for 8 people:

400g strawberries
1 litre of vanilla ice cream
200g of all butter shortbread fingers, broken into small pieces
4 tbsp of Waitrose Seriously Buttery Caramel Dipping Sauce or something similar


Thinly slice 4 of the strawberries and roughly chop the remainder. I also took the ice cream out the freezer at this point so it was slightly softened.



Line a loaf tin with a layer of parchment/baking paper and then two layers of cling film, allowing for some overhang to cover the tin at the end.


Arrange the sliced strawberries at the base. Mix the ice cream with the strawberries and the broken shortbread pieces. I originally tried to break them with my fingers but it was an extremely messy process so instead just cut them with a knife.



Spoon half the mixture into the tin and pat down firmly so there are no air bubbles. Then spread the caramel over the ice cream and cover with the remaining ice cream, strawberry and shortbread mixture.



Fold over with the remaining cling film and place in the freezer for several hours or overnight until very firm. I actually left it for a couple of days.


To serve, gently lift out the ice cream and remove the cling film. 


Leave to soften for 10-15 minutes, then slice thickly with a large knife.


I actually think I lie to myself when I say I don't like puddings as this was seriously good. The flavours all compliment each other and it tastes so summery and fresh - perfect for this time of year. Plus it is not too heavy - a necessity at the end of a very calorific meal. I think it would be a huge hit with the kids too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment