Sunday 1 December 2013

HERBY SALMON AND COUSCOUS PARCELS

I am such a recipe fanatic that if I see one in a magazine or book and I like the look of it, I will take a quick picture of the recipe so I have a copy. I do this from magazines at the doctor's surgery etc or from friend's cookbooks. Hope that doesn't sound too weird?! 

This summer we stayed in a villa in Menorca and there was a fabulous little cook book there focusing on meals for just the two of you - I wish I could remember the name of the book as it was full of some excellent cooking ideas....luckily I took lots of recipe photos.

I had not cooked any of them yet but as Pascal was out on Thursday and my lovely friend Ceri was coming for supper I decided to try one out and I was very pleased with the results!

Ingredients for 2 people:

110g pack of lemon and garlic couscous (I could only find sun dried tomato and garlic couscous)
200ml hot vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
A handful of fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, tarragon or rosemary is good)
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
6 sun blush or sun dried tomatoes, chopped (you could always add a couple more if you fancy - I did)
2 salmon fillets, about 140g each


Start by preheating the oven to fan 180C / 200C / gas mark 6.

Put the couscous in a bowl and stir in the stock and oil (I actually used a measuring jug)! Cover with cling film and leave to stand for 10 minutes, then uncover and fluff up with a fork. 


Keeping back some of the herbs for later, add the rest to the couscous along with the tomatoes and spring onions and season to taste.



Cut out two large sheets of non-stick baking paper, then divide the couscous between them. Sit each fillet on the couscous and top with the remaining herbs and season.


Fold the paper over and twist the edges to seal - a bit like a Cornish Pasty. Put the parcels onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15 minutes (until the fish feels firm through the paper).


You can either serve in the bag or dish out onto a plate.



I don't like to blow my own trumpet but what a fantastic meal - it was absolutely delicious - Ceri and I couldn't believe it!! It is a great alternative way to cook salmon and the couscous with the sun dried tomatoes goes perfectly with it. Plus it is healthy and roughly only contains about 500 cals and it is very very simple ad quick. 

The next day I told Arabella and Pascal about the success of the recipe and how I must cook it for them....you can imagine the response, Pascal saying "all we ever eat is fish" and Arabella moaning that she doesn't like couscous. I am going to prove them wrong as I think it would be hard not to love this recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment